What is AMSA Global Health?
AMSA Global Health is the Australian Medical Students’ Association’s (AMSA) largest committee, serving members from 20 Global Health Groups (GHGs) across Australian medical schools. AMSA Global Health Representatives from these GHGs form the AMSA Global Health Council, which gathers twice a year. AMSA Global Health is overseen by an Executive, elected annually by the Council, and a wider Management Team.
Global health is becoming increasingly more relevant, subsequently garnering widespread popularity and support through both the global health advocates within our the medical education space and the general public. AMSA Global Health seeks to provide a platform to inspire meaningful conversation, action change in the sphere of global health, both locally and nationally.
AMSA Global Health seeks to connect, inspire, and empower medical students to effect change towards global health equity through tangible, unified, responsible, and sustainable action.
As a valuable platform for Global Health advocates within answer, AMSA Global Health has seen increasing engagement with our initiatives including our biannual national councils, education and capacity building programs, social media and projects (AMSA Code Green for climate health, AMSA Reproductive Rights for sexual and reproductive health, AMSA Crossing Borders for Refugee and Asylum Seeker Health). Reaching thousands of medical students, junior doctors and passionate global health advocates of the nation,, AMSA Global Health envisions through our initiatives, the opportunity to promote, educate and inspire the next generation of leaders.
Vision, Mission and Objectives
AMSA Global Health has an ambitious set of strategic objectives that direct the focus of our activities. These statements were updated in 2017 under the direction of AMSA Global Health Council.
Sustainable, universal and equitable health for all.
To engage, represent and empower medical students to take effective action on global health.
AMSA Global Health has set 6 primary objectives for 2018:
- Support the activities of global health groups in pursuit of global health equity
- Consult and represent the views of global health groups and medical students on global health issues
- Create a global health community that facilitates collaboration
- Provide internal and external training opportunities for the upskilling of medical students
- Achieve and maintain financial sustainability
- Provide opportunities for involvement beyond medical school
AMSA Global Health has set 5 secondary objectives for 2018:
- Provide equitable opportunities and resources to improve global health education for all Australian medical students
- Create and distribute global health publications to connect and inform medical students
- Enhance the opportunities for medical students to engage in the IFMSA and the international global health arena
- Commit to sustained advocacy and support on issues of global health importance
- Work collaboratively with the AMSA Executive and other elements of AMSA, within and beyond the Global Health Portfolio