Attending AMSA Global Health Council is a great way to get involved and see what we do as AMSA Global Health!
AMSA Global Health Second Council (sponsored by the George Institute!).
Prior to GHC in Newcastle, the AMSA Global Health Representatives came together for three incredibly productive days of consultation and collaboration on local and national global health projects, Executive 2017 elections, and preparation for assisting the GHC team. Some highlights include:
- Development of a plan to strengthen Red Party National Project following the closing of YEAH and in line with the SDGs (see below!)
- A foundation for integrating the SDGs into GHG activities more broadly, thanks to a fantastic UWA presentation (putting AMSA’s recent policy into action!)
- Consultation on the final draft of the NCD ‘Education Package’ by our VPE Matt P, which will be launched very soon on our growing Resource Hub
- Voting on advocacy – again highlighting RASH, Climate Change, NCDs and sexual and reproductive health as GHG priorities for 2017.
- A whiteboard full of ideas on how to improve reach and accessibility of AMSA Global Health and our National Projects in 2017
- Election of our new 2017 Executive, an incredibly stellar team including: Chair – Liz Bennett; VPE – Vu Nguyen; VPO – Georgia O’Sullivan; VPI – Julie Graham; National Coordinators – Liam Bell and Stephanie D’Souza
With the loss of YEAH, the introduction of the SDGs, and shifting GHG priorities, the Red Party portfolio is in an exciting time of change. We had fantastic workshops at our recent Council with the Representatives brainstorming the future direction of Red Party. As a result, Red Party next year will have two arms. The first will focus on the national branding of Red Party to unite unis. The second will focus on education (?Reducation), specifically five key areas of sexual health alongside HIV/AIDS.